Why Use DVD to Video?
What is DVD?
DVD (also known as "Digital Versatile Disc" or "Digital Video Disc") is a popular optical disc storage media format. Its main uses are video and data storage.
What are the disadvantages of DVD?
- Vagueness of the DVD specification and inadequate testing of players and discs has resulted in incompatibilities. Some movie discs don't function fully (or don't play at all) on some players.
- DVD recorders are more expensive than VCRs.
- DVD has built-in copy protection and regional lockout.
- DVD uses digital compression. Poorly compressed audio or video may be blocky, fuzzy, harsh, or vague.
- The audio downmix process for stereo/Dolby Surround may reduce dynamic range.
- DVD doesn't fully support HDTV.
- Some DVD players and drives can't read CD-Rs.
- Some DVD players and drives can't read recordable DVDs.
- Most DVD players and drives can't read DVD-RAM discs.
- Very few players can play in reverse at normal speed.
- Variations and options such as DVD-Audio, DVD-VR, and DTS audio tracks are not supported by all players.
Why Use DVD to Video Software?
- To protect DVD disc from scratches
- To share DVD movies with friends
- To watch DVD movies on other MP3/MP4 players like iPod, touch, iPhone, etc.
- And more…
Why can’t I copy DVD to my hard drive?
Almost all movies are encrypted with CSS copy protection. Decryption keys are stored in the normally inaccessible lead-in area of the disc. You'll usually get an error if you try to copy the contents of an encrypted DVD to a hard drive. However, if you have used a software player to play the movie it will have authenticated the disc in the drive, allowing you to copy without error, but the encryption keys will not be copied. If you try to play the copied VOB files, the decoder will request the keys from the DVD-ROM drive and will fail. You may get the message "Cannot play copy-protected files".
How to copy DVD to hard drive or convert and convert DVD movies to other video format files?
Keep in mind that unless you are copying something for your own personal use from a DVD that you own, copying a DVD is usually a copyright violation, which is illegal and dishonest.
DVD Converter software is the best way to copy DVD to computer hard drive or convert DVD movie to other video file formats for personal use.
What to look for in DVD to Video Software?
DVD to Video software performs two functions, including DVD converting and converting. The best DVD Converter software should convert all kinds of DVD formats such as DVD disc, DVD folder and DVD image files and work with a wide range of formats including those utilized by online video sharing sites and those compatible with portable devices like iPods, iPhones and PSPs.
Below are some criteria to evaluate DVD Converter software:
- Ease of Use
- Features Set
- Output Video Quality
- Converting Speed